Dec 19, 2007

Questions of cultural Identity

here are a few questions to consider?
What other races allow their history to define them so much so that the definition of that race disables its general cultural development?
Lets look at it from a personal identity aspect vs. general people group aspect; Does it benefit me to identify myself or define myself by my relationships with ex-girlfriends. Obviously my experiences with them contributes to who I am today but I am not at all the same person I was back then. If I chose to define myself or labeled myself by that past, thus putting significance on those relationships choosing to say "I am messed up now because of what I did to her or what she did to me..." only jeopardizes the potential to have a meaningful relationship in the present or future. At some point individuals have to be mature enough to move on and recognize the responsibility that exists to shape and form their own identity. My ex may say I am a jerk or was a jerk, but she would only be referring to a moment in time when we shared time and space. I can not base who I am on how she viewed me in the past neither should I spend any time trying to prove to her presently that I am not a jerk presently unless it were true and I was really a jerk.
What am I saying, It is and should be recognized as obvious my outward characteristics, At one point in history certain people labeled those characteristics inferior to their own. The way in which we people with my characteristics were labeled prevented us from living with certain rights, rights that allowed us the freedom to live as human beings. Today those rights are in place and are protected, even though some of the same labeling take place it does not change the rights we have as human beings. It is not necessary to revisit the times when those rights did not exist, It is not necessary for me to bring attention to or lift up those characteristics that are obvious or even use those characteristics to bring me confidence, pride or value. Those characteristics are neither good or bad. What is most important is the fact that I am a Human Being and as a Human Being I have rights, as a Human Being i am valuable to all Human Beings and I must do my part to further the development of all and not just those who share my same obvious characteristics.
Realizing that Humans are and can be short sided and ignorant, how can we help restore the human image, which intrinsically is God's image, in those who have lost it to cultural group identity? To realize true human identity is to realize who and where God is.
In the process of exposing truth how can you see art, design, creativity utilized to lead or influence people groups into the recognition who God is?

Post written by Th3rdseed

No comments:

Post a Comment